Saturday, April 20, 2013

Review: Apollyon (Covenant #4) by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Apollyon (Covenant #4) by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Goodreads Blurb

Fate isn’t something to mess with… and now, neither is Alex.

Alex has always feared two things: losing herself in the Awakening and being placed on the Elixir. But love has always been stronger than Fate, and Aiden St. Delphi is willing to make war on the gods—and Alex herself—to bring her back.

The gods have killed thousands and could destroy entire cities in their quest to stop Seth from taking Alex’s power and becoming the all-powerful God Killer. But breaking Alex’s connection to Seth isn’t the only problem. There are a few pesky little loopholes in the whole “an Apollyon can’t be killed” theory, and the only person who might know how to stop the destruction has been dead for centuries.

Finding their way past the barriers that guard the Underworld, searching for one soul among countless millions, and then somehow returning will be hard enough. Alex might be able to keep Seth from becoming the God Killer… or she might become the God Killer herself.





4.5 Stars

Spoilers included! Read at your own risk! ;-)

Okay uhmm...WOW! where do I even begin to convince you all how amazing this book is. 

The story starts where Elixir left off (so make sure ya'll read that before reading Apollyon) at first I was kind of skeptic that the whole book will be based with Alex still sitting in a cell. Which is why I was instantly over-joyed that she finally gets a chance to escape and not just in a "oh look a key and just walk out" way, but in a totally spontanous, hilarious and kick-ass way that ends with a consequence you never thought would happen so early on in the book but totally love. 

There was a million things I loved in the story, but the most one would be the development we witness from half-blood to now and how much our favourite characters have changed as the truth slowly reveals itself. I also love how in the midst of all this Apollyon disaster Aiden and Alex are still standing strong and can still find love in between this crazy war. 

We definitely see a different side to Aiden as he doesn't care that everyone know's he's in love with Alex, infact I think he likes it that everyone knows. It's such a sweet and affectionate side that it makes us readers forget about that whole half-blood/pure relationship is against the rules thing and makes us wish that we had our own Aiden.
He's so devoted to Alex and his brother Deacon that he'll do anything for them. "Aiden slid an arm around my shoulders and tipped me toward him. Right in front of the entire room full of halfs, pures and a god, he kissed my temple" 

We also see a more emotional Alex but still with her awesome kick-ass part. As the pressure to keep the people she loves starts to take it's toll, Alex shows an unremarkable strength even when she figures out what Apollo really wants her to do.

Armentrout revealed that Alex's dad was still alive in Deity but I'm disappointed to see that we still don't get to meet him in this book, but maybe in the last one, which I personally think won't be enough time for us readers to get to know him much...

The most shocking part in the novel to me was the revealation of the god behind Lucian's and Seth's master plan. It's someone we never expected it to be which is why it made such a shocking impact on me. Even though I figured out who the God is when she was in the underworld, the character it's been portraying the whole time throughout the series was definitely unexpected, so kudos to you Jen! ;) 

One of the things I also am glad to see in each book is the scenery and how it's always different in each book. From the School in Deity Island to the New York Covenant, to the St Delphi's house and now to the Underworld. It definitely keeps the dullness away ;-)Especially as Alex and Aiden travel to the underworld....alone... ;-D talk about a major swoonage! *fans self*

This book has all of JLA's trademark from it's usual hilarious smart-ass comments, heart-stopping action, heart-felt drama and the swoon-worthy relationship between the main characters. This is a MAJOR must read! as it all leads up to one mighty, exciting finale which I can't wait to get my hands on of Sentinel due out in December!!!

And with an ending like this: "Asclepius face blurred into a severe frown. "There's something else here..." It definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat about what will happen in the next book. :)

xoxo Em <3

Favourite Quotes:

- "Do you know how terrible I felt when Marcus came down and found me sitting there like a turd?"

- "Oh, I was two seconds from jumping on his back and strangling him from behind... with love, of course."

- "Aiden chuckled as the tips of his fingers skimmed over my stomach. Heat followed, chasing away the chill in my skin. I reached up, wanting more, always needing more-
"Don't stop on my account."
I shrieked at the sound of Apollo's voice"

- "Will you make sure that... Aiden will be okay?"

- ""It would kill him. I know. Losing you would kill him."








No comments:

Post a Comment